Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Best Shows on TV

My favorite 25 shows on TV (that have aired since 7/1/11):

25. Homeland- Showtime- This critically-acclaimed drama revolves around a CIA agent a POW-turned-terrorist.  I get the love, but it only ranks here because I am not that much of a drama guy.

24. Anger Management- FX- Charlie Sheen's new character tries to act in almost the exact same way as his on Two and a Half Men.  However, this show is just not the instant classic that Men is.

23. The Big Bang Theory- CBS- My favorite part of the show is watching Sheldon's idiosyncrasies.

22. The Voice- NBC- I am not a huge music fan, and I am not a huge fan of talent shows, but The Voice is by far the best of them.

21. Last Man Standing- ABC- I love Tim Allen's character's opinions- they are what every man thinks but is afraid to say.  I just wish that there were more adult humor.

20. Man v. Food- Travel- As a competitive eater myself, I love to watch a show that revolves around eating challenges; however, Adam Richman is not as successful as I at eating challenges.  I just think that I could beat him (which I did- I won something that he lost).

19. Top Shot- History- While I am pro-gun ownership rights, I really did not think that a show about guns would be that interesting until I watched it.  As a plus, it has its roots in Survivor (which is still to come).

18. Expedition Impossible- ABC- While it only lasted one season, Expedition Impossible featured tough, physical challenges, beautiful scenery, and one of the most dominant teams in the history of Reality TV.  On the other hand, I think that The Amazing Race is better.

17. Revenge- ABC-The plot of Revenge has so many twists and turns to keep viewers on their feet.  I, however, just enjoy comedies and reality shows more than I do dramas.

16. Two Broke Girls- CBS- I love the overarching cupcake business storyline and the raunchy humor.  I just wish that it were more relatable for an upper-class male.

15. Love in the Wild- NBC- The thing that sets LITW apart from other dating shows is its adventure spirit.  Its adventures are the best part of the show (that and its consistent casting of hot chicks).

14. MasterChef- FOX- I enjoy MasterChef more than any other cooking show because of its consistently strong challenges and competitive spirit.

13. The Glass House- ABC- This show has improved from Big Brother in many ways; however, the one thing holding it back is the lack of depth in which we see the game.

12. Take the Money and Run- ABC- Take the Money and Run reminded me of The Mole, my second favorite show of all-time.  Its one glaring weakness was my ability to tell if the team would win or lose based on the time remaining in the episode.

11. Rules of Engagement- CBS- The character of Jeff, an extreme macho-male, is one of the funniest characters on TV; however, his wife, Audrey, is annoying.

10. Missing- ABC- The best drama of the past year or so was one that nobody watched.  It featured an exciting chase around Europe with a CIA scandal gradually playing out.  They also set it up perfectly for a second season had there been one.

9. Whitney- NBC- I really do not understand why this show gets all the flack that it does; it is one of the funniest shows on TV.

8. The Amazing Race- CBS- TAR is great because it features teams travelling around the world and completing tasks.  Some believe that the show is not as good as it once was, and that may be true, but it is still excellent.

7. The Celebrity Apprentice- NBC- The Celebrity Apprentice is amazing because of Donald Trump.  Whether you love him or hate him, he asks the right questions to bring the proper drama and tension to the boardroom, which is the best elimination ceremony on TV.

6. Curb Your Enthusiasm- HBO-  This is the only single-camera comedy to make the list.  It is just about perfect, as Larry David thinks what everybody thinks.  Also, the fact that it is on HBO allows it to not have the restraints that other networks have.

5. Big Brother- CBS- Big Brother is like Survivor played in a house with a few unnecessary gimmicks.  This season, with all of its big moves and power shifts, is particularly good.

4. Two and a Half Men- CBS- Two and a Half Men has pulled off the transition between Charlie Sheen and Ashton Kutcher as well as it could have.  It gives me thirty minutes of pure laughter.

3. Redneck Island- CMT- A direct Survivor rip-off on a small budget, Redneck Island combines an excellent strategy competition with some good redneck humor.

2. How I Met Your Mother- CBS- I caught onto this show recently, and this summer, I have watched the first five and a quarter seasons on Netflix.  It is the funniest show on TV, and its mother plot adds an element of mystery.  The cast is also perfect.

1. Survivor- CBS- Survivor remains the best show on TV due to its cutthroat strategy, great casts, strong challenges (water challenges will be back in Survivor: Philippines), and great locations.  I also love that they keep the game fresh by adding in new twists.  I just hope that having three tribes will help prevent one tribe from dismantling the other(s) this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment